Friday, May 21, 2010

My Experience at UrbanFUTURE

In UrbanFUTURE, I take food classes, dance classes, and work with my tutor Ms. Alaina.

In food class, my teacher Mr. Justin teaches us how to make healthy foods that are also delicious. He also teaches us how to make good health choices and how to be open to new things. In food class we made ice cream, pizza bagels, granola bars, potato wedges, and guacamole. The potato wedges were my favorite.

In dance group my teacher Ms. Sunshine teaches us how to have fun and express ourselves through dance. She teaches us dance styles that are different from the ones we already know. Not only do we do hip hop dances, but we also do African dances, etc. I enjoy it because I don’t have to be shy because I’m around friends and family.

In tutoring, I work with my tutor Ms. Alaina. We work on math, reading, and writing. I have a lot of problems with math, but Ms. Alaina shows me ways to make math easier and fun to do. Tutoring helps me because we work on the same things that I work on in school. Tutoring also helps me improve my grades.

The staff at UrbanFUTURE is nice. When I get confused and frustrated, they don’t give up or quit on me. They try to help me out so I can get back on track. I also like that the staff is very diverse. One day when we got our report cards I wasn’t very pleased about my grades. I decided to shut down for the rest of the hour. My mentor said she was going to leave but realized she cared about me and my education too much. She turned around, came back, and got me back on track. That helped to know that the UrbanFUTURE staff really cared about me.

UrbanFUTURE helps me to make good health choices, express myself, improve my grades, and know that people care about me.

By: Jya, UrbanFUTURE student

No comments: