Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Team Work Brings Restoration to Jefferson

When I think of the way our INSPIRE teams work together, I am reminded of a television show I watched as a child. Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Heart! When the five powers combine, they form Captain Planet and save the world! While UrbanFUTURE teams might not be saving the world (yet), when each part of the team works together, they can make quite an impact in the life of a child. Our INSPIRE teams at Jefferson Elementary are making huge strides to restore the bonds between schools, families, and communities!
Through the support of her mother, mentor, and teacher, DeAnyai, a fifth grader, has improved this year, both academically and as a person.
From the parent…
I see more growth in DeAnyai’s academics and participation in class. Mary (the mentor) is wonderful and very informative. I appreciate the program and the very committed teachers and mentors! I pray over my children every day, and I know that UrbanFUTURE is one of God's answers to my prayers.

From the mentor…
I decided to volunteer with UrbanFUTURE because I was looking to get more involved in the community. DeAnyai seems to bring a positive attitude to our sessions every week, regardless of outside circumstances. My biggest success with DeAnyai is the relationship we’ve developed, and because of this, she seems very open to listening, learning, and sharing during our mentoring sessions. We always spend our time working on the UrbanFUTURE character and goal-setting curriculum, but we do it together, making it more enjoyable and exciting.

Ms. Spivey (DeAnyai’s mom) always thanks me for working with DeAnyai and tells me how much she loves and appreciates UrbanFUTURE. She is very trusting of me and open about DeAnyai’s strengths and weaknesses. This past week, I got to go with Ms. Spivey to parent teacher conferences, so I have a better idea of what to work on with DeAnyai. Ms. Spivey not only praises UrbanFUTURE, but also continually expresses her appreciation for what I am doing; my biggest success with Ms. Spivey is that I have begun to build an open, trusting relationship with her.

From the Teacher…

I think that D's relationship with her mentor has started to impact her sense of accountability and her internal motivation. She knows there's someone else she's going to see and tell about her goals and her progress in class, so she's asking questions, and monitoring herself, and will occasionally even say things like "I am going get all of my work finished so I can show her what I did today." Deanyai's mentor just recently gave her a planner, and now Deanyai is writing in her homework assignments and checking them off as she goes. The excitement to engage and improve, knowing she has someone who is rooting for her one on one, is a huge benefit to Deanyai. And because they're working on goal setting together, being very explicit about HOW you set real goals and action steps, I can see Deanyai internalizing that- when she sets goals for herself in class they are concrete, achievable, and meaningful to her.

In UrbanFUTURE tutoring, Deanyai is getting the individual extension work that we don't always get to in class, to help challenge her. I know this is happening because when she participates in class (which is often, and confidently) she offers higher level answers; that is, she explains her thought process and can apply new knowledge more readily, which is evidence of the one-on-one coaching tutoring in which she's asked to do that in depth.

Part of Jefferson's mission (and what's just plain necessary for student success) is greater parent involvement, and UrbanFUTURE really brings that to bear. I think that sometimes there's a sort of divide set up between school and home, or there's communication, but it's needs-based (i.e. only when something goes wrong) and can be less frequent. UrbanFUTURE, with its mentors regularly contacting parents, with parents knowing they can contact Stephanie or a mentor as well as a teacher, with parent chaperoned field trips, and family events (like the ice cream party to celebrate student test scores!) is a very positive, student centric gathering place for all of those who are working towards the success of a student- parents, mentors, and teachers. It's not about the school, or the teacher, or the parent, but about what is happening with the student. I personally have found it easier to get a hold of my parents who are UrbanFUTURE parents, and I think those parents are more actively aware of what is happening with their student's progress, since they communicate with me AND mentors. UrbanFUTURE INSPIRE mentors helped get parents up to school for conferences, and came to conferences to meet with parent's about what students are working on. 

It's reassuring to me as a teacher to know that some of those individual attentions that I can't give to students during the day (enrichment to excelling students, extra support and individual coaching for struggling students) is being given to them after school. EVERY STUDENT at our school needs more positive love and attention, and the fact that 4th, 5th, and 6th graders, who are coming into adolescence, one of the most challenging times for development of self-image and attitude towards school and the future and other people, are getting that CONSISTENT, POSITIVE attention and support (not to mention role models), is hugely beneficial.

From the Student…

My mentor is helpful because she is teaching me how to be more patient. I like my mentor because she’s fun and she helps me with a lot of things, like my self control which I really need to work on. I know she cares about me because when I’m sad or my head hurts, she asks me what’s wrong and lets me take a break. When I wasn’t keeping up with my homework, she bought me an agenda . Doing all of my homework was one of my action steps for my reading goal, so my agenda is helping me reach my goals. My goals are helping me get better as a student, like some of my action steps and goals are affecting my report card and my grades are improving. I know she cares about me because she took me to Crown Candy and we got ice cream and a BLT. My favorite part of UrbanFUTURE is mentoring and the field trips.

We may not be saving the world Captain Planet style, but we are working to change communities, schools, families, and most importantly, the lives of our students!

No comments: