Friday, April 22, 2011

Meet Francisco - UF Student Aspiring to New Heights


I'd like to introduce you to an IMPACT team whose hard work together this year has put the student on a trajectory for success in 5th-grade. As assessed by our Scholastic Guided Reading curriculum, Francisco started the year on a level "M", roughly equivalent to an end of 2nd-grade reading level. Through his own drive to learn--demonstrated by his perfect attendance at UrbanFUTURE sessions--and his tutor's commitment to coming an hour early each week to work with Francisco one-on-one, Francisco will be leaving 4th-grade reading at a level "R", or an end of 4th-grade level. This academic growth has no doubt prepared him to enter 5th-grade prepared to achieve academic success and continue onto advanced material.

Here is what Francisco had to say about IMPACT:   

                My name is Francisco and I am ten years old.  I have a tutor named John and he is eighteen years  old.  On Mondays, we work on math.  We have done a lot of different problems this school  year.  On Wednesdays, my tutor and I practice Communication Arts.  Right now, we are reading a mystery book about a slave from the Revolutionary War. 
                My tutor John helps me learn and  is always here to tutor me.  He is the first tutor I have ever had.  Tutoring is a good time for kids to learn more about what they have done and to remind them about their subjects.  I really like tutoring because John helps me all the time.

No comments: